This is the Timeline of G-d’s re-affirming the Noahide Commandments at Mount Sinai, where He commanded them with specific details as part of the eternal Torah of Moses.
As G-d decided for reasons known to Him, some of the verses in the Torah that refer to these events are not placed in chronological order. Here they are presented according to the order of what took place:
- 1st day / Ex. 19:1-2. The Israelite nation encamped at Mount Sinai.
- 2nd day / Ex. 19:3-8 (up to “Everything that G-d has spoken we shall do!”). Moses ascended to receive instructions from G-d, and descended. The Israelites agreed that they would obediently enter into the Jewish covenant.
- 3rd day / Ex. 19:8 (from “Moses brought back the words of the people to G-d”) to Ex. 19:9 (up to … and they will believe in you [Moses], also forever”). Moses ascended, reported to G-d and received His instructions, and descended.
- 4th day / Ex. 19:9 (from “Moses told the words of the people to G-d”) to Ex. 19:14, and Ex. 24:1-4 (through “Moses wrote all the words of G-d”). Moses ascended to receive instructions from G-d, and descended to tell the people all the Divine laws that had been commanded up until that time.
The recounting and recording of the Seven Noahide Commandments by Moses took place at Mount Sinai on this day, two days before G-d spoke openly to the entire Jewish nation. In Ex. 24:3, it says “Moses came and told the people all the words of G-d and all the laws…” Here, “all the laws” refers to the Seven Noahide Commandments and a few of the Jewish Commandments, all of which the Israelites had already been commanded before they arrived at Mt. Sinai. (Moses told these commandments to the Israelites at Marah, after they crossed through the sea – see Exodus 15:25.) In Ex. 24:4, “Moses wrote all the words of G-d” means that at that time, he wrote down the Book of Genesis – that contains the verses which inform us of the earlier Covenant of the Rainbow and the Noahide Commandments – and the Book of Exodus up to that point. Thus, G-d commanded upon the Jewish people that based upon the revelation at Mount Sinai, they would have the responsibility for preserving and publicizing the Noahide Commandments and all their details, which are for all the nations of the world for all generations.
- 5th day / Ex. 24:4 (from “He [Moses] arose early in the morning…”) to Ex. 24:11. This is the day that Moses built an alter, and read to the people the “Book of the Covenant” (the Book of Genesis, including the Seven Noahide Commandments, and part of Exodus up to that point).
- 6th day / Ex. 19:16-20:18, and Ex. 24:12-15. G-d openly spoke 10 of the 613 Jewish Commandments to the people, and Moses then ascended Mount Sinai, to learn more of the Jewish Commandments from G-d for 40 days and 40 nights. (These are recorded in Ex. 20:19 to Ex. 23:22.)
By Rabbi Dr. Michael Schulman (original text posted on and copyright © by Asknoah.org)